Initial Workshop with Musical Director - Rent: Seasons Of Love


Within the workshop with the musical director I focussed on remembering/learning the lines and making sure I hit all the correct notes. To begin with we all stood in a circle around the board and the musical director. We firstly focused on learning the words and the correct tune of the piece. As the lesson developed my main focus was making sure I hit the correct notes when the class harmonises. An example of me harmonising is at 28 seconds when I sing "moments so dear". An exercises that helped me maintain the tune was when the two halves of the room split into two (each half would be singing the tune in their correct pitch). This helped me as I was surrounded by other people who were doing the same harmony as me, so I could hear what note I should be at, and I was able to notice where I went wrong, if I went wrong. My target for the next rehearsal is now making sure I know all the lyrics, so I don't have to rely on the other cast members, and also knowing the song more, so I can hit all the right notes on time.  

Another key component of this rehearsal was practicing multiple different warm ups at the start of the lesson which links with my SMART target. To begin with we sung different notes and went up the scales with all of them, this I had done previously. One warm up exercise I had never done before, which I felt really helped me was blowing through straws in time with the tune/lyrics of the song. This helps as when blowing through a straw it creates more resistance with an increased amount of energy moving to the vocal folds. Therefore creating a more balanced air pressure, making the vocal folds vibrate more easily, with less work. Overall, just making it easier to sing and hit specific notes.

Comments